CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Whole grains- My favorite GRANOLA

I recently found this wonderful granola recipe from a cookbook my daughter gave me for Christmas and I have modified it a little to suit my taste! It makes a great healthy breakfast or snack as well. Lower in sugar and fat than others I have seen. Whole grains are healthy, and this recipe makes them very tasty.

GRANOLA

7 CUPS ROLLED OATS (not quick oats)
1 CUP COCONUT (unsweetened or sweetened)
1 CUP WHEAT GERM (cereal aisle in grocery store)
1 CUP SLICED OR CHOPPED ALMONDS
1 CUP CHOPPED WALNUTS
1/2 TEASPOON SALT
1 CUP MAPLE SYRUP
3/4 CUP CANOLA OR VEGETABLE OIL
1 TABLESPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
2 CUPS DRIED FRUITS -cranberries, dates, raisins
(whatever your favorites are or you can leave them out)

Preheat oven to 250. Combine all dry ingredients(except fruit) in a large bowl. Separately mix the oil, maple syrup and vanilla then add the syrup mixture to the dry mixture. Stir until all is well coated. Spread the granola on 2 large greased cookie sheets. Bake for 1 hour, remove pans and stir mixture. Then bake for an additional hour. Transfer granola to a large bowl then add the dried fruit. Store in airtight container or in large zip lock bags. Warning addicting!!


1 comments:

old said...

sheesh...i miss your cooking!! LUCKY GARY!!!!!