CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 27, 2010

WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

These days we keep hearing how important it is to incorporate whole grains into our diets. Many of you who know me, know that for years I've been making my own whole wheat bread. It tastes so much better than what you can buy and with some practice and an investment in the right equipment, it is actually very easy. The recipe that follows that I use is from a small sandwich shop that closed down years ago.
You will need to purchase a wheat grinder if you don't already have one. go to www.blendtec.com
You will also need a heavy duty mixer. These are also sold on the blendtec web site. The BOSCH ones are also good. I use a Bosch, it is probably about 25 years old. It accidently fell off the counter about a month ago and with a few minor adjustments it still works like a charm.
You can buy wheat flour and knead the bread by hand but I don't think you will get the same results. If you are serious about trying this out, send me a message. I am happy to help.

WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

3 CUPS HOT WATER (I microwave 2 cups for 2 minutes and then add an additional lukewarm cup) my microwave is powerful
1/2 cup oil (canola works well)
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 Tablespoon fresh yeast (store in freezer, it stays fresher longer)
2/3 cup gluten flour (you can generally find this at health food stores)
2 cups bread flour (you can use regular flour here)
4-5+ cups *freshly ground wheat flour (white wheat or red wheat) Note: this amount can vary some.
*grind just what you need or store the extra in the freezer-the ground up wheat loses some nutrients if left out for more than 24 hours.

Place hot water, then oil, honey, salt and gluten in mixer bowl. Turn on low speed and add yeast then flour 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Be careful here too much flour makes a dry bread. When the dough is pulled away for the most part, set speed at high for 5 minutes. Place in large glass or metal mixing bowl, cover with damp towel and place in warm oven (proof cycle or oven light on is sufficient) Let sit until doubled in bulk, usually about 20-25 minutes. Place in 2 greased loaf pans and let sit again for about 15 minutes or so (until dough rises just a little over the top of the pan) Bake in preheated oven 375 for about 35 minutes. Place on baking racks and let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting.

GOOD LUCK

2 comments:

Jen said...

Sister Slack, I just started making whole wheat bread, I got a wheat grinder for Christmas. I am in need of a mixer and I think I will go for the bosch when I get some pennies saved. I have a very old sunbeam mixer that is not working well. Where can I get wheat here? I have just been using the red wheat in my food storage. What wheat do you use? Oh! By the way I guess I should introduce myself. I am Jen Mills. Could you email me some more information on your bread making? THANKS! jennieraemk@gmail.com

Ruth said...

Your bread is amazing and that looks like a great recipe! Jared and I are hoping to get a wheat grinder with our tax return this year, so I will try it out and let you know. :)